Worth Seeing

Worth Seeing
 

Artists’ Cemetery, Woodstock:

Rich with history — and its fair share of ghost tales — the Artists’ Cemetery is a tribute to the artists who’ve left their mark on Woodstock. The cemetery is located off Rock City Road, directly across the street from the Woodstock Music Shop, and well worth a quick stroll through the unique headstones.

Beekman Arms Inn, Rhinebeck:

The colonial-style Beekman Arms was built in 1766. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is referred to as “America’s oldest Inn.” It’s located in the historic town of Rhinebeck, within walking distance to shops and restaurants and within driving distance to several mansions and the Culinary Institute of America.

Contact info: Beekman Arms/Delamater Inn, Rt. 9, Rhinebeck, NY 12572; (845) 876-7080, toll free (800) 361-6517; www.beekmandelamaterinn.com

City of Beacon:

Revitalization of the city, which sits on the east bank of the Hudson River, began in the mid-1990s, starting with the restoration of the buildings on Main Street and converting the city into an extraordinary antique and arts district.

Contact info: The City of Beacon, 1 Municipal Center, Beacon, NY 12508; (845) 838-5000; http://www.cityofbeacon.org

Clinton Vineyard and Winery, Clinton Corners:

Clinton Vineyard and Winery produces table wines, champagnes and dessert wines. Visitors are encouraged to stroll through the vineyard, stop by the wine-making facility and finish the tour at the tasting room.

Contact info: Clinton Vineyards, Schultzville Road, Clinton Corners NY 12514; (845) 266-5372; http://www.clintonvineyards.com

The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park:

The CIA is a private, non-profit college, providing culinary education and training. It opened in 1946 in New Haven, CT and moved next to Yale University in 1947. The CIA purchased their current location — a former Jesuit seminary — in Hyde Park in 1970. Visitors are encouraged to partake in the restaurants and cafes — all food is prepared and served by CIA students and staff. Tour reservations are required, as well as reservations for restaurant and cafĂ© seating.

Contact info: The Culinary Institute of America, 1946 Campus Drive, Hyde Park, NY 12538; (845) 451-1588; http://www.ciachef.edu

Gomez Mill House, Marlboro:

The Gomez Mill House promotes itself as the “earliest surviving Jewish residence in North America.” The six-room house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Luis Gomez, a Sephardic Jew, built the blockhouse as a trading post in 1714 after fleeing from the Spanish Inquisition.

Contact info: Gomez Mill House, PO Box 1051, Marlboro, NY 12542; (845) 236-3126; http://www.gomez.org

Howe Caverns, Catskills:

Located on a 400-acre estate, Howe Caverns was discovered in 1842 by farmer Lester Howe. The caverns provide special events for children, including the Cave Classroom, which involves an in-depth history of the caverns. The busiest months are July and August, with year-round events and activities. Tours last approximately 80 minutes.

Contact info: Howe Caverns, Inc., 255 Discovery Drive, Howes Cave, NY 12092; (518) 296-8900; http://www.howecaverns.com

Hudson River Maritime Museum, Kingston:

The Hudson River Maritime Museum, founded in 1980, is dedicated to “preserving the maritime history of the Hudson River.” From the museum, visitors can enjoy a short boat ride to the Rondout Lighthouse. Built in 1913, it contains furnishings and exhibits, documenting the history of the Rondout lighthouses.

Contact info: Hudson River Maritime Museum, 50 Rondout Landing, Kingston, NY 12401; (845) 338-0071; http://www.ulster.net/~hrmm/welcome.html

Huguenot Street, New Paltz:

Huguenot Street in New Paltz is a National Historic Landmark. It is a collection of colonial and stone houses owned and operated as historic museums by the Huguenot Historical Society. In addition to the homes, theres a church, library, burial ground, gift shop and picnic facilities.

Contact info: Huguenot Historical Society, 18 Broadhead Avenue, New Paltz, NY 12561; (845) 255-1660; http://www.hhs-newpaltz.org

Kaatskill Kaleidoscope, Mount Tremper:

Kaatskill Kaleidoscope in Catskill Corners is the World’s Largest Kaleidoscope and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. The kaleidoscope was designed by Isaac Abrams, a 1960s psychedelic artist, and his son Raphael. Catskill Corners, built in 1841, is an assortment of shops located in a converted barn and grain silo.

Contact info: Catskill Corners, Route 28, Mount Tremper, NY 12457; (845) 688-2828

Karma Triyana Dharmachakra, Buddhist TempleKTD, Woodstock:

KTD sits, quite literally, on top of Woodstock. It is a monastery dedicated to retreats, programs and community outreach initiatives that reflect Buddhist traditions and practices. Moreover, it is an important religious center for building understanding in Buddhist traditions across the nation. The complex is open to the public.

Contact info: Karma Triyana Dharmachakra, 335 Meads Mountain Road, Woodstock, NY 12498; (845) 679-5906; http://www.kagyu.org

Lindenwald (Martin Van Buren Mansion),Kinderhook:

Martin Van Buren, son of a tavern keeper and farmer, was born in Kinderhook in 1782. He served as the eighth President of the United States from 1837 to 1841. In 1839, Van Buren purchased Lindenwald, a working farm named for the linden trees around the property, and lived there until his death in 1862. The home is maintained by the National Park Service and is open to the public.

Contact info: Lindenwald Mansion, Route 9H, Kinderhook, NY 12106; (518) 758-9689; http://www.nps.gov/mava

Locust Grove (Samuel Morse House), Poughkeepsie:

Inventor/artist Samuel Morse, creator of the Morse Code and the electromagnetic telegraph, purchased the estate in 1847 and lived there until his death in 1872. The building contains original artwork, paintings and furnishings — a model of the original telegraph can be found in the Morse Exhibition Room.

Contact info: Locust Grove, 2683 South Road (Route 9), Poughkeepsie, NY 12601; (845) 454-4500; http://www.morsehistoricsite.org

Montgomery Place (LivingstonMansion), Annandale-On-Hudson:

The estate was built in 1802 by Janet Livingston Montgomery, daughter of Hudson Valley judge Robert Livingston and widow of Revolutionary War hero General Richard Montgomery. Original family artwork and furnishings are still present in the home.

Contact info: Montgomery Place, River Road, off Route 9G, Annandale-On-Hudson, NY 12571; (845) 758-5461; http://www.hudsonvalley.org/montgomeryplace/index.htm

MuseumVillage, Monroe:

Roscoe William Smith opened Museum Village in 1950. He was the founder of the Orange and Rockland electric company in 1905. The museum items are things he collected over the years, most of which were used as forms of payment for electric bill settlement. Hands-on demonstrations at the museum include candle making, basket weaving, blacksmithing and others.

Contact info: Museum Village, 1010 Route 7M, Monroe, NY 10950; (845) 782-8247; http://www.museumvillage.org

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, Rhinebeck:

The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome museum features antique aviation memorabilia from 1900-1935. They hold weekend airshows from mid-June through mid-October with World War I and Lindbergh-era aircraft.

Contact info: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, PO Box 229, Rhinebeck, NY 12572; (845) 752-3200; http://www.oldrhinebeck.org

Opus 40, Woodstock:

Sculptor Harvey Fite took 37 years to complete Opus 40, a unique stone sculpture on six acres. The Quarryman’s Museum is also located on the property. The compound is open from Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend.

Contact info: Opus 40, High Woods, Saugerties, NY 12477; (845) 246-3400; http://www.opus40.org

Rivendell Winery, New Paltz:

Rivendell Winery was established in 1987 by the Ransom Family. Rivendell’s wine tasting room is open to the public and features over 75 wines from other New York wineries.

Contact info: Rivendell Winery, 714 Albany Post Road, New Paltz, NY 12561; (845) 255-2494; http://www.rivendellwine.com

Springwood (FDRMansion), Hyde Park:

Franklin D. Roosevelt (32nd president) donated his home to the American people in 1943. FDR was born and lived most of his life there, and was buried on the grounds after his death in 1945. The grounds include the FDR Library and Museum and Val-Kill, Eleanor Roosevelts sanctuary from the main home.

Contact info: FDR Mansion and Library, Route 9, Hyde Park, NY 12538 (845) 229-9115; http://www.nps.gov/hofr

Sunnyside (WashingtonIrvingMansion), Tarrytown:

Author Washington Irving, best known for his tales of Sleepy Hollow, built his Dutch plantation-style home in 1835. The home plays host to special events throughout the year, such as picnics, festivals and storytelling.

Contact info: Sunnyside (Washington Irving Mansion), West Sunnyside Lane, off Route 9, Tarrytown, NY 10591; (845) 591-8763; http://www.hudsonvalley.org/content/view/13/43

United StatesMilitaryAcademy, West Point:

The Military Academy at West Point was founded in 1802. The Academy’s mission is to prepare cadets — nearly 1,000 graduates a year — for careers as commissioned officers in the U.S. Army. Guided bus tours begin at The Visitors Center; a photo ID is required for all adults.

Contact info: U.S .Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996; (845) 938-4011; http://www.usma.edu

VanderbiltMansion, Hyde Park:

The mansion was constructed in 1895 by third-generation Vanderbilt millionaire Frederick Vanderbilt. The family fortune began in the early 1800s when Cornelius Vanderbilt began a ferry service between Staten Island and Manhattan; the family’s NY Central Railroad came later.

Contact info: Vanderbilt Mansion, Route 9, Hyde Park, NY 12538; (845) 229-9115; http://www.nps.gov/vama

VassarCollege, Poughkeepsie:

Vassar College is an independent, liberal arts college founded in 1861 by businessman Matthew Vassar. Although established as a woman’s college, Vassar has been coeducational since 1969 and is recognized as a leader of higher education in liberal arts. It houses several museums, galleries and theaters that are open to the public.

Contact info: Vassar College, 124 Raymond Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY 12604; (845) 437-7000; http://www.vassar.edu

Wilderstein, Rhinebeck:

Wilderstein Preservation is a Victorian mansion that was owned and occupied by the Suckley Family from 1852 to 1991. The home opened to the public in 1992. Thomas Suckley’s fortune came from the family export trade business and real estate investments. Suckley was also a descendant of the Beekman and Livingston families.

Contact info: Wilderstein Preservation, 330 Morton Road, Rhinebeck, NY 12572; (845) 876-4818; www.wilderstein.org

Yasgur Farm (Original Woodstock site), Bethel:

The 1969 Woodstock Music and Art Fair was held at Max Yasgur’s Farm in Bethel, NY — not in Woodstock. Yasgur’s 38-acre farm sloped like an amphitheater and was large enough to support the enormous crowd, making it the perfect place for the 3-day event. The site is located at the corner of Hurd Road and West Shore Drive off Route 17B. Visit their Web site for directions.

Contact info: http://www.yasgurroad.com/history.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s